My Photo
Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

I recently received a job from SBS Farms in New York. I am moving to Florida to work with some of the most talented individuals in the horse industry.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Documentary

What is a documentary?

The way I always pictured a documentary is that it is a film, non-fiction, and sheds light on a controversial situation, figure, or situation to prove something significant. That may sound vague, but there are lots of different documentaries out there.

I must say my favorite documentarian is Michael Moore. I love the way he springs facts on people in a Tom Green type fashion and prove that they are doing wrong. I've seen all of his films from Roger and Me about how the shut down of the GM Plant in Flynt, Michigan ruined the economy, to Farenheight 9/11 about Bush's inability to function as a person and how he rigged the election. Loved it. I've also read Michael Moore's book Stupid White Men, which I only brought up to brag that I've read it. No real point to it.

Documentaries are usually low-budget, which is ideal for our class since we are poor college students, and usually get ignored by the public unless it hits a really big target like Columbine. Something also ideal for our class since we don't really know what we're doing yet. Just kidding. I'm sure we'll all get nominated for oscars...oh but they'll be too short. Maybe short film oscars.

Documentaries are worthwhile because they make people look at topics differently and also shed light on subjects that don't get that much exposure...except in books. And we all know that people would rather watch a movie than read a book, so it's the better medium to explore.

1 Comments:

Blogger B. Weaver said...

Low budget doesn't have to mean low power. How can your project have POWER as a story? How will you approach your participant?

Take your definition now and work with your team members and their definitions to come to a compromise. Develop a meaningful, group definition of documentary. You'll want to identify the common elements and craft a team definition. This will guide your efforts for your project.

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home